Since 1969, TOMAR has had one primary focus – to provide
equipment that can be relied on in an emergency to help save people and property. To focus on that mission while being a value-adder to our community and those we serve worldwide, TOMAR developed the Envelope of Safety®.
The Envelope of Safety has seven core elements which each represent a way we provide value for our clients and those charged in their care. Each of these elements are intentional considerations we engineer into every product or solution we manufacture.
Join us, as we step through these Elements and discuss
how specific considerations to the design of our products impact all those effected by them.
Private Citizens and the Public in Immediate Risk.
Whether a private citizen on their day off, or a pharmaceutical worker at the plant, the first element considered in the Envelope of Safety are those who could be in imminent risk. Providing for notification and initiating
alarms to help prevent injury, damage, or even loss of life, TOMAR’s extensive line of industrial signaling and initiating devices offer reliable solutions to
Fleet maintenance and having the tools needed when unforeseen circumstances arise is a challenge regardless of the size of your entity. By exceeding the acceptable standard for manufacturing, every product TOMAR engineers is made to endure. From extruded-aluminum encased LED light bars for emergency vehicles; to military-derived sensor technology in our preemption detectors; to class 1, division 1 explosion proof strobes, TOMAR builds products designed to last through the effects of the environment
Next, as we dive deeper into specific solutions offered in our EOS Safety Suite™, consider the fact that TOMAR is the only single manufacture who produces them all. This gives TOMAR the ability to provide the most reliable function of these much-needed systems, and a single-source for emergency preparedness. This helps protect those who are under your care, by making sure the equipment needed in an emergency is always functioning so you can effectively respond to a crisis.
Emergency Response Effects on Public Safety
TOMAR recognizes that urgent responses of emergency vehicles create high risks not only for the responder, but also for the public. TOMAR’s EOS Safety Suite of solutions is a one-stop-shop to source everything your department needs for Emergency Vehicle code-3 response.
1.Exiting the Station
The TOMAR Fire Station-mounted Emitter System, model FSEMIT, provides a way for emergency vehicles leaving a fire station to preempt nearby traffic intersections and clear traffic blocking the roadway in front of the fire station.
2. Requesting the Right of Way
TOMAR’s Emergency Vehicle Lights such as the 970 Lightbars and Revolution Series Lightheads, employ our state-of-the-art Clear Vision Optics™. The custom optics provide focused lumen output and can be seen from a further distance. This capability of advanced warning exceeds federal lighting standards such as NFPA 1900, and gives the public more time to safely yield to first responders.
3. Go Through GREEN Intersections
Traversing an intersection is statistically the most dangerous part of an emergency response. More accidents occur here between public motorists and first respnders than anywhere else on the roadway. TOMAR STROBECOM II is an optical traffic preemption system with includes all the parts needed to request Green Lights for the vehicle’s whole response:
- On the vehicle, STROBECOM II infrared strobe emitters provide over 2,500 feet of reach for traffic signal priority. They are either freestanding or can be built into TOMAR Lightbars.
At the intersections, STROBECOM II Detectors and Optical Signal Processors (OSPs) detect either TOMAR-brand emitters, or GTT Opticom* emitters, to begin the preemption process and provide a green-light to the emergency vehicle.
*GTT and Opticom are trademarks of Global Traffic Technologies, LLC.
4. Immediate Access Through Automatic Gates
What is the fastest way for a first responder to unlock and open a gate to a restricted property? The one where they don’t have to exit their vehicle, or even stop, in most cases. TOMAR STROBESWITCH™ allows first responders to open automatic gates at residential & commercial properties as they approach for immediate access and without having to exit their vehicle. This can greatly reduce response times so first responders can save lives and/or property faster. The STROBESWITCH Detector receives the signal from a vehicle-mounted optical emitter already installed.
Note: In some areas, City Codes require TOMAR STROBESWITCH, as it cansave precious time in a crisis and have a substantial, positive effect on community safety.
Learn more about Elements 3 and 4 by viewing our EOS® Response Chart
EOS® Response Chart
Responding to an emergency is one of the most hazardous and stressful things you do.
This is How TOMAR's Envelope of Safety® will keep you safe so you can save others:
- Expedited exit from the station - TOMAR FSEMIT Fire Station Emitter System
- Expedited yielding of traffic - TOMAR Revolution longer-range emergency warning light optics
- Expedited response through traffic congestion - TOMAR STROBECOM II Traffic Priority System
- Expedited entry to restricted, gated properties - TOMAR STROBESWITCH automatic access
- Expedited safety on scene - TOMAR Revolution focusing warning light away from your eyes
No other single manufacturer can offer all of these solutions.
See a visual representation of Element 3 by viewing our EOS® Response Chart
EOS® Response Chart
See the scene while calming the Chaos - In low-light situations, First Responders rely on illumination devices to provide aid safely and effectively to those in need. TOMAR’s Dual-Mode™ warning lights can help calm scene chaos and increase visibility by transforming un-used flashing warning lights facing the scene, into powerful, white auxiliary scene lighting. Additionally, warning light optics are focused at a plane more horizontal than competitor lights, so lamps mounted above or below eye level are not shining directly in the eyes of those working around the vehicle.
Following triage, TOMAR STROBECOM II preemption systems help EMS personnel get those injured to medical facilities in reduced time and without incurring excessive risk. This is a cyclical effect of EOS continuing to make a difference in safely and care levels.
Protecting Budgets, Both Initially and Long-term
- Reduce initial investment cost: Provide transparent, publicly available, and competitive pricing on every solution we manufacture, regardless of the increased costs of having a USA-based assembly location. We accomplish this in part by providing our pricing for all our solutions at tomar.com.
Reduce cost of ownership:
- Increase strength through robust engineering and materials used for a longer service life. An example – TOMAR 970 LED Light Bars significantly outlast any competitive product due to the upper and lower protection of electronics components in extruded aluminum, and the employment off 100% waterproof connectors and IP69K+ hermetically sealed lamp modules.
- Make servicing easier – TOMAR solutions feature modular designs which allow servicing to be accomplished in minutes, not weeks, and at very minimal costs.
- Providing the best warranties in the industry – TOMAR STROBECOM II Traffic Preemption Systems for both emergency and transit vehicles stands alone as the only system to offer a full 10-year replacement warranty – This is significant peace of mind on such a worthwhile investment in public safety.
- Keeping your city moving – TOMAR STROBECOM II provides lower-priority preemption for your transit vehicles, prolonging green lights to keep your public transportation systems moving and efficient, while simultaneously reducing vehicle wear.
Protecting the Environment
We all must share this world, and TOMAR’s commitment to green manufacturing has never been stronger. In 2009, TOMAR’s Gilbert, Arizona-based manufacturing headquarters earned the U.S. Environmental Agency’s Energy Star Award.
Today, TOMAR continues that tradition of environmental stewardship obtaining a significant amount of all energy used in production through 560 100-watt roof-mounted solar panels. Since 2012, TOMAR has saved over 200,000 trees, over 2 million kilowatt hours of electricity, and has even sold surplus back to the local electrical authorities.
The Future of our Communities
When combined, the first 6 elements of the Envelope of Safety share a goal of protecting not only those living today, but those who will inherit our communities from us tomorrow. TOMAR knows without responsible processes and reliability to protect those in harm’s way, the future is jeopardized.
Those in a position to manage budgets, increase safety, and reduce response times, while simultaneously supporting a cleaner future for generations to come, have a responsibility to do so.
Make the intentional decision to support the efforts of your community’s emergency response apparatus by providing your citizens with a certification of TOMAR's Envelope of Safety®. Contact TOMAR to learn more about how we can partner together for a safer tomorrow, starting today with a free consultation.CONTACT TOMAR